Tuesday 9 February 2010

2010 Greetings Stamps




An Post have released their 2010 greetings booklet featuring 2 stamps I designed and illustrated. For you philatelists out there, first day covers are now available from An Post’s website. I was first asked to submit some ideas exploring different directions for greetings stamps. The stamps are regarded as not being occasion-specific, but as Valentines day is the second biggest post date after Christmas, it’s bound to appear.
On the initial submission, I decided to take two approaches. The first was a sketch like direction, much like the Kilkenny 400 stamps I had produced for An Post last summer and the second was a little more whimsical (and an opportunity to get my kids featured on stamps if I worked it right!)
For the first day cover an image was also needed for the envelope to tie in with the theme. It was one of those rare occasions where the first idea I had seemed to exactly what everyone was looking for. The post floating to your door with a starry sky background and the rocket floating by. Finally I had to do some stickers and a card to be included in the pack.
A bit of tweaking, a few re-drafts and the job was done. Son and eldest daughter on the stamps, younger daughter on the accompanying card. Mission accomplished!

No comments: